News & Events

PI:N 2013

July 23, 2013

In June ICR returned to the Preservation Institute Nantucket (PI:N) for our fifth year of summer field school by The University of Florida’s Historic Preservation Program. ICR spent the week with students presenting topics including materials conservation, site sampling, and hand-on laboratory procedures. 

During this week, PI:N students had the opportunity to conduct material investigations on the Pacific Club, the only remaining 18th century commercial structure in the city. Originally a three-story warehouse, the building was significantly altered after the Great Fire of 1846 and became a private club in the 1850s. Extensive decorative painting was recently revealed in the third floor main room that is thought to have been added by the Masons who occupied the space in the late 19th century. 

PI:N met with craftspeople involved in the ongoing investigation and restoration of the building, and the students extracted mortar and interior paint samples for characterization and analysis in the lab. Their findings will inform the restoration team and hopefully contribute to a thoughtful conservation of the Pacific Club.